My last pregnancy picture (week 40)
After my last doctor appointment on March 18th, we elected for an induction the next day. My doctor said I was in early active labor, and thought a "jump start" would really get things going. Usually I could just take a big walk to help things along, but the baby was pinching a nerve in my spine, and each step I took was filled with excruciating stabbing pains. I had been dealing with it for weeks, but it was getting very difficult to take care of the kids, shop, cook, etc. Also my doctor, whom I love, was going to Boston that Friday for a week, and I would have to start over with a new doctor for the end, and she happened to be on labor call the next day. The stars seemed aligned, and we decided to go for it.
So instead of a mad dash in the middle of the day/night, we had sitters all lined up, and drove to the hospital the next morning. It only took a short bit for the contractions to start, and my water broke on it's own-another sign my body was totally ready. They turned off the drip expecting my body to take over like my labor with John. Unfortunately it did not. We didn't know then that a part of my water bag was still filled, and acting like a barrier. So, they started over with the pitocin. After a few more hours (and a few mental breakdowns from the disappointment of how long everything was taking and fatigue and nausea) I was at 4 cm, and requested an epidural.
Finally I got to 6 cm, and my doctor found and was able to release the bubble of water. Also we realized that baby was face up, and inbetween contractions, my doctor turned her to the side. Well, I went from 6 to 10 cm in about a minute after that and was ready to push. I am a champion pusher, and she was out in two. Ella Pearl was born at 11:13 pm.
Afterwards I usually feel like a million bucks, but this time I was SO nauseous and faint. After they got baby cleaned up, and I got a few stitches, Pat when on ahead to our room to sleep. I just couldn't feel better and my blood pressure kept falling. This happened with both Adia and John, but I never felt sick or faint and it was no big deal. This time, though, I felt just awful. I also had a big gush of blood, and my blood pressure fell to 49/24. (How low can your blood pressure get?!) When I saw that I got pretty scared. I asked the nurse if I was going to be okay. She assured me everything would be fine, and offered to get Pat back up. I said to just let him sleep.
The room got exciting after that. Doctors and nurses were giving me shots, pills, more IV fluids, and injecting stuff into my IV. I finally started feeling better, and took my first nap in almost 24 hours. I got back to my room at about 3 am, and told Pat what just went down. They figured it was just a combination of dehydration, my natural low blood pressure, and the stress of just giving birth.
After labor it was smooth sailing. I felt great that morning, and Ella was just perfect and beautiful. It is uncanny how much all three of our kids looked alike when born! We had family coming to visit both days, and went home on Saturday.
Ella Pearl is born
Adia meeting Ella
John meeting Ella
Grandma Lynne and Ella
Grandma Higbie and Ella
Welcome home!
5 comments:
Ella is beautiful! I am glad to hear you made it out of the hospital safe and sound! It looks like Adia and John are in love with their new little sister! Good job on everything Audra! Can't wait to see more and more posts of your growing family! :)
Love the pictures of John and Adia meeting Ella! I can't wait to see her again this weekend... You can hold Livi, and I'll hold Ella... O.K.???!!! LOL
Talk to you soon!
Ok, I've been bad and not knit you anything yet... So, you win. You get your choice of dress, sweater or blanket. Let me know your choice for little Miss Ella!
Cullen is sitting next to me looking at these pictures of Ella saying "more Ella mommy!" He loves looking at her pictures!! Can't wait to meet her this weekend!
What is it with 3rd babies??? I'm so glad everything turned out good and that you're both healthy! She certainly looks loved.
Post a Comment